Cleveland Regional medical Center header
You Are Here > Facilities > Cleveland Regional Medical Center
Javascript DHTML Tree Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com

Cleveland Regional Medical Center

Welcome to Cleveland Regional Medical Center (CRMC) where progressive change is anticipated, continual, appreciated and not feared.

Leadership is our passion, shared vision is our strategy and decentralized decision making is our tactic. We believe that our community is entitled to the same level of access, the same level of technology and the same level of compassion as people who live in larger cities and further, we believe it is our mission to serve regardless of one's ability to pay.

CRMC is the main hospital in a three hospital system called the Cleveland County HealthCare System; Kings Mountain Hospital (KMH) and Crawley Memorial Hospital make up the other two acute care facilities.

We are also an integral part of the Carolinas HealthCare System based in Charlotte North Carolina, which is one of the largest not-for-profit healthcare systems in the country.

Cleveland Regional Medical Center
201 East Grover Street
Shelby, NC 28150
980-487-3000

CRMC Details:

  • Joint Commission Accredited
  • 510,000 square feet
  • 241 licensed beds
  • Acute Care, not-for-profit facility
  • Level III Trauma Center designation
  • Accredited Chest Pain Center
  • Round-the-clock air ambulance access
  • Affiliated with Carolinas HealthCare System
  • 48,000+ Emergency Department visits yearly
  • State-of-art technology and equipment

History

  • 1910 – Dr. T.G. Hamrick opened Cleveland County's first private hospital
  • 1923 – 43-bed Shelby Hospital opened
  • 1945 -- Cleveland County took over the management of Shelby Hospital
  • 1952 – 57-bed wing was added
  • 1956 – another wing added increasing bed capacity to 175 and the number of staff to 181. Added one of only five General Electric X-ray machines in NC, the latest in diagnostic technology.
  • 1957 – Renamed Cleveland Memorial Hospital
  • 1967 – 100-bed wing added bringing patient capacity to 275
  • 1968 – Intensive Care Unit opened
  • 1972 – expanded outpatient and X-ray services; built a new entrance, classrooms, an auditorium, waiting room and coffee shop
  • 1975 – added a linear accelerator, at the time one of only three in NC to bring extensive cancer treatment to the community
  • 1988 – Voters passed a $25 million bond referendum to help finance construction of a new hospital
  • 1992 – new hospital building complete
  • 1996 – Cleveland Memorial Hospital began doing business as Cleveland Regional Medical Center (CRMC), and the county commissioners approved a lease agreement between CRMC and Carolinas HealthCare System.
  • 1997 – CRMC joined other community healthcare providers to form a unique partnership called the HealthCare Enterprise to assure clients a seamless and cost-efficient approach to healthcare
  • 1997 – Emergency Department designated NC's first Level III Trauma Center
  • 2000 – Cancer Center becomes Blumenthal Cancer Center at CRMC, one of the first cancer centers in the region certified by the American College of Surgeons
  • 2000 – CRMC Heart Center founded as part of The Carolinas Heart Institute at Carolinas Medical Center, one of the most respected cardiac programs in the Southeast
  • 2002 – Expanded Labor & Delivery unit opened
  • 2003 – Merger agreement signed with Kings Mountain Hospital
  • 2007 – New Emergency Department and Surgery Pavilion opened

Carolinas HealthCare System’s
Cleveland Regional Medical Center
Local Accommodations

Days Inn
1431 W. Dixon Blvd.
Shelby, NC 28152
2.64 miles
(704) 482-1800

Americas Best Value Inn
825 W. Dixon Blvd.
Shelby, NC 28152
2.79 miles
(704) 482-3821

Affordable Suites of America (Extended Stay)
920 Grove St.
Shelby, NC 28150
2.99 miles
(704) 471-0441

Super 8 Motel
1716 E. Dixon Blvd.
Shelby, NC 28152
4.09 miles
(704) 484-2101

Hampton Inn
2012 E. Marion St.
Shelby, NC 28152
5.2 miles
(704) 482-5666

Holiday Inn Express
2001 E. Dixon Blvd.
Shelby, NC 28152
5.66 miles
(704) 480-0881

 

© 2010, Cleveland County HealthCare System